By Karen Morris
We often say that everything starts with gut health, and it’s true.
Winter time can be one of the hardest times to keep on top of proper nutrition as all you want to do is stay in and eat comfort food.
But instead of reaching for the chocolate or chips or eating big fatty meals to keep you warm, here at Herbs Online Shop, we have some great suggestions to keep you warm and keep your nutrition up.
- Eat dark winter greens – dark leafy greens are packed with fibre, which keeps you regular, helps make you feel fuller for longer and helps to improve digestion.
- Herbs and spices – add flavour and warmth to your meals. Herbs and spices help to improve digestion with their ability to increase stomach enzyme production. Good for immune health also, adding a pinch of warmth such as fennel, turmeric, ginger, cloves, cayenne pepper and cinnamon can all assist the digestive system and are rich in antioxidants.
- Omega 3 – Consuming enough healthy fats helps you feel satisfied for longer after eating and reduces the risk of inflammatory bowel diseases, improves your cardiovascular system, helps to balance hormones and is good for your skin. If you’re not getting enough Omega 3s in your diet, such as eating fatty fish such as salmon or mackerel, legumes, nuts, and chia or flaxseeds, we have an effective Omega 3 capsule that with only one or two caps per day, can help keep reduce inflammation and promote good health.
- Add prebiotics to your foods – prebiotics help to increase your levels of gut microbes, promoting a healthier gut and so consuming foods such as garlic, onions, almonds and asparagus help with good gut bacteria and help you digest other foods.
- Probiotics are then just as important – Probiotics are required to help break down food in your small intestine and colon. Taking a probiotic supplement can assist your digestion and keep your immune system in check, especially during the winter months when you may feel more sluggish.
- Try our Gut Mend Powder – Karen’s specific gut mend formula is made for anyone who is experiencing stomach discomforts such as bloating, constipation, diarrhoea, inflammation, burping, and reflux. Instead of reaching for over-the-counter “band-aid” products, we recommend using this powder for digestive health either ongoing or twice a year for maintenance. A lovely mix of L-glutamine, Manuka, Mastic gum, Slippery elm, Quercetin, and Ginger powders, it’s easy to add it to your morning muesli or smoothie with your favourite fruit.
- Reduce stress – Stress can reduce pH and the production of digestive enzymes. It actually wreaks havoc on the gut as it reduces blood flow to the stomach and intestines which causes cramping, bloating, slow digestion and constipation.
Taking a herbal such as Ashwagandha can help to have a nourishing effect on those who are physical and/or mental stress. It can restore vitality, promote longevity and improve physical endurance.
The root of the Ashwaganda bush is often used by herbalists as an adaptogen and nervous system tonic; to help people adapt to and cope with stress and to relieve mild anxiety. It can increase energy and improve cognition.
- Meditation and relaxation exercises – studies have shown that even just 10 minutes a day of slowing the breath can have profound effects on calming the body/mind system. The more you do, the less stress you will feel, and the easier time your gut will do its job properly. Set aside 10 minutes in your morning routine or when you are getting ready for bed and see the difference it makes in your life.
- Magnesium – Having enough magnesium in your diet helps to relieve headaches, stress, constipation and anxiety. We just don’t get enough magnesium from our foods, so it’s important to supplement. Our Magnesium Citrate powder is easily absorbed than other forms of magnesium and helps maintain a healthy nervous system and energy production.
We’d love for you to try all these tips and see how you go over the coming weeks. Remember we are here to support you on your health journey, so do call on (02) 9555 5117 if you have any questions or book in a consult so we can help you, naturally. https://herbsonlineshop.com/product/60-minute-consultation-lifestyle-coaching-session/